The 16th century monument and a world heritage site, Rohtas Fort was built in 1541 AD on the order of Emperor of all India, Sher Shah Suri. The fort is located near Dina in Jhelum district 8 KM from G.T Road to the right side when traveling from Islamabad to Lahore.
The Rohtas Fort Conservation Programme was conceived by the HWF in 2000 to help protect our national heritage ‘Rohtas Fort’ and develop it as a heritage site conforming to international standards of conservation and tourism. Under its Rohtas Fort Conservation program HWF has completed several projects of conservation, restoration and development.
Under the Rohtas Fort Conservation Program HWF has up till now completed conservation/restoration and development of the following:
- Restoration of the Shah Chand Wali Gate
- Documentation and Conservation of Haveli Mansingh
- Conservation of Talaqi Gate
- Conservation of Gatali Gate
- Development of Heritage Village
- Development of Sher Shah Suri Museum
- Development of Visitors Information Center
- Development of Master Conservation Plan